Most of my clients ask me regarding the big square box inside the center area of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a pair of self-closing louvers. It’s a complete house fan also it can either benefit home owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and less humid nights
* Use it as long as the temperature and humidity outside is a lot more favorable than the conditions indoors. When your air-con system is operating through the day, and also the temperature outside drops lower (nevertheless the humidity continues to be high), don’t turn the Continued. The vent will suck every one of the humid air in your air conditioned house
* The perfect time periods to use it would be, of course, morning hours and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it may not be a good idea to bring each of the pollution into the house. Your window screens will stop a few of it, but whole house fans are really powerful and can make you sneeze more than ever.
1. Before you decide to turn the fan on, open as numerous windows and doors as you can, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (should they be louver type, it won’t matter). The suction in the whole house fan (at least on the highest speed) is very great, that without open windows / doors, it will draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for example, from your chimney. If it is a fireplace chimney and also you don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s going to be a mess. Should it be a water heater / furnace chimney, it may possibly blow off the pilots.
2. When all things are ready, you may start up the complete house fan and in most cases within the next couple of seconds you should feel lots of exterior air flowing in your home. Unless…
3. This part is essential as opening the doors and windows – both need to be balanced to perform properly in order to really benefit from the whole house fan operation. The air drawn through the whole house fan must be discharged through the attic vents on the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created from the attic area may cause the atmosphere which was just pulled away from your house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps in the attic wh0le along with the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation will not be enough to back up the tumblr.com/ operation; you will need considerably more to carry all of that extra amount of air to the exterior. Along with the formula to calculate the square footage in the attic vents expected to discharge that air is very simple. You only need the dimensions of all your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, along with a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is simply a sample, calculate every one of the rooms in your home you believe must be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is basically the section of the required attic vents (all of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. In the event the house you’re stepping into has the whole house fan already installed, lets hope it was properly sized up for the purpose (there can be a tag on the unit itself), which is to replace your property air within just a couple minutes.
5. If you’re usually the one installing the full house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as an optimal time for the house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d should divide your home total air volume (6550 cubic feet from our sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That will provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each minute).
6. An additional crucial thing: louvers of the http://tumblr.com usually are not air tight and also have no insulation placed onto their surface; they leak air between the house and attic. I would strongly suggest installing an entire house fan cover in attic area to stop air drafts throughout the cold season – don’t forget to eliminate it before you decide to take advantage of the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and many people never use them, but they might benefit your wallet should you apply the above. There are actually currently other kinds of house ventilation systems available: they can be more expensive (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, better, and offer air flow for long time periods.